RiffRaffs little englishman

Discuss problems here
RiffRaff

RiffRaffs little englishman

Post by RiffRaff » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:41 pm

As i wrote in the introducion (pictures), i bought a Sankey NT. Technically he is ok, but has some small problems.My goal is to fix him and equip him with a roof tent. For that i want to collect the nessecary parts.
These are the problems:
The Box: some parts of this are rusty. Sandblasting, welding, varnishing (word correct?). Colour will be black (like my car). i don't need any parts for this
Electrical system: the old system will be removed and a new installed. Parts a not a problem.

Axis: i would like to completly revise. The german TÜV does not like old axis :( . And now starts the problems! Are the early and later Sankeys technically identical or are there differnces? I would like to exchange the following parts:
Brake (shoes and expander unit), leather seal,oil seal in the hub. Now i need this parts. I think i have found the leather seal: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162627844299 is this correct? Now i search the other parts. Where can i find this and which part numbers i need? Did i forget important parts?

There are no plates or stamps for identification on the trailer.

Thanks in advance

RiffRaff

Re: RiffRaffs little englishman

Post by RiffRaff » Wed May 02, 2018 5:44 pm

One problem is solved: I found a company that produces new brake expanders (stainless steel).They can be ordered at the end of May.

One more question: The brake pads are riveted or glued? In the pictures you can see riveted, mine has glued.

best regardes

Fred
Bake Off Judge

Post by Fred » Sun May 06, 2018 3:46 pm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sankey-Trail ... SwKtlWnjEahttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sankey-Trail ... Swv-ZaSfwV
I have no expertise when it comes to Sankey trailers, but, perhaps bidding on one or other of these, depending on which variant yours is, may be useful. But, once you are into extensive modifications then, probably, most of us on this forum are a bit at a loss, as fiddling with the axles on a Sankey isn't something many of us are likely to get involved in. We tend to be content with them as they are because the Sankey was designed to be towed by Land Rovers (and Champs), so is already pretty well balanced for those vehicles and it is difficult to see how altering the set-up can improve things. But, good luck.
Fred
Best,
Fred

1979 Series 3 GS, 23HF14

RiffRaff

Post by RiffRaff » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:20 pm

So, my little trailer is ready 8-) Here are some pictures.
New tires
Fender:

back in black ;)

bedliner coating:

RiffRaff

Post by RiffRaff » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:35 pm

some pictures of the restauration:
sand blasting of the box:

the bottom was dead. he got a new (0,5mm steel):

Fred
Bake Off Judge

Post by Fred » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:47 pm

Well, you seem to have been enjoying yourself at any rate! I can't honestly say I think the wheels are an improvement, but, that won't come as a surprise to you, I'm sure. Nice job on the floor. I saw a Discovery painted all over with some of that paint the other day. Not black, but yellow and green. Looked a bit weird, but apparently it is very tough.
Anyway, you now need a proper military Lightweight Land Rover to tow your trailer and a nice American trailer for your Jeep!
Best,
Fred

1979 Series 3 GS, 23HF14

RiffRaff

Post by RiffRaff » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:32 am

Hello Fred,

i needed a bigger track for the trailer so i decided for the 235/70 and the Dotz Dakar. But I will change the taillights. I do not like them. A Defender? Why not, but my wife will take a baseball bat when i buy another car :evil: I don't like the Bantam trailer for [email protected]@p.