Tyres and hitch hight

Discuss problems here
Cornish Rattler

Tyres and hitch hight

Post by Cornish Rattler » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:09 am

Hi guys

I know there is another similar thread running but is a few years old now and thought i would start another but if it needs moving to the other thread its ok.

Anyway my S2a swb civvy that i am in the middle of rebuilding, when finished it will have 7.50 x 16 Insa Sahara turbo tyres part road and part off road tyre and will also have Parabolic springs fitted which equates to a 2" lift but a softer spring and with the sankey depending which model i eventually get i plan to fit the same tyre but in 205 x 16 to help lower the trailer hight. What do you think :)
---------------
Graham

Fred
Bake Off Judge

Re: Tyres and hitch hight

Post by Fred » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:39 am

Cornish Rattler wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:09 am
Hi guys

I know there is another similar thread running but is a few years old now and thought i would start another but if it needs moving to the other thread its ok.

Anyway my S2a swb civvy that i am in the middle of rebuilding, when finished it will have 7.50 x 16 Insa Sahara turbo tyres part road and part off road tyre and will also have Parabolic springs fitted which equates to a 2" lift but a softer spring and with the sankey depending which model i eventually get i plan to fit the same tyre but in 205 x 16 to help lower the trailer hight. What do you think :)
It's an interesting proposal and a few years ago, would probably have elicited a lot of of enthusiasm among the Land Rover fraternity. But, as the Series Land Rovers are becoming more scarce, the fashion tends to be for the older ones in particular to be returned as close as possible to their original spec - even Land Rover itself is rebuilding older vehicles to original spec. So, the circus has moved on a bit. And, certainly if you want to retain the value, then originality is demanding a premium.

As a pairing the Series Land Rover and Sankey NT on their original springs, wheels and tyres is hard to beat - the trailer was designed to match the vehicle characteristics and tows beautifully. It's the same with the Ninety and 110 with the Sankey WT. If you fiddle with the springing and tyre combination all bets are off, really. You'd have to see what it feels like when it's finished.

But, it rather depends on what you want the vehicle for. That is the great thing about a Land Rover, the options are limitless and there are certainly some lovely "expedition" Land Rovers around with all sorts of goodies giving enhanced capability in various areas, whether it is better cruising with an overdrive, better cross-country performance with air lockers and mud tyres, or winches, long-range fuel tanks, camping paraphernalia or whatever. But, listen to others who have been longer in the Land Rover rebuilding game and who have put their skills to improving their vehicles - I haven't, I'm just someone who likes a Meccano set.

Fred
Best,
Fred

1979 Series 3 GS, 23HF14