Sankey narrow track brake pain in the arris.

Tell us about your Sankey or Trailer
Sidders101
Bake Off Judge

Sankey narrow track brake pain in the arris.

Post by Sidders101 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:55 pm

Right..I pride myself on being a competent general mechanic with over 30 years experience in rebuilding, refurbishing and maintaining old British motors but mainly Landies....BUT.....the engineering pixies that were summoned from fairyland that were auditioned to build the sankey trailer series , need some serious counselling...!!
I had a problem with one of the brake actuators located inside the drum which would stick on when the handbrake or brakes were activated..resulting in....well u can guess...anyhow..today's challenge was to completely strip & overhaul the entire brake system together with the brake linkage assembly...piece o cake..?. NO..!
I found one of the Pistons within the brake actuated was seized so this was freed off and inspected for wear/corrosion...lubricated and reassembled..also the pivot or fulcrum assembly which pulls in opposing direction to activate the afformentioned actuators was also found to be seized ...this was attended to.
Hours of maticulously attention to detail was made of every section of the brake system only to find that the same issue was STILL apparent..?????
There is a definite "jam" of the one of the brake actuator which is compounded when the drum is tightened against the backplate with the drum screws...?? I can only assume that that there is wear on the small rollers and sliders within the actuator which creates snagging as the drum is fixed....I have inspected all surfaces and come to the conclusion that even the slightest of wear is enough to prevent the release of the actuator..even though the brake lining springs and the central main return Spring mounted on the front chassis member work together to aid release.....and pull back on the rod....but to no avail....I shall purchase a new actuater just to get the new rollers as I have no way of testing/refurbishing these items and hope this is the answer..........waste of a day.
Sidders

1974 Series 3 LWT 12v RHD 69-FM-24 , Royal Marines ("Intrepid")
1976 101 forward control gun tractor 12v RHD- 73-FL-43 ex 1,2 & 3 Para ("Kryten")
1979 Sankey NT Trailer 06-HF-86 78 Engr Reg (Herman)
1978 Trophy Frank Spencer impression (1st place)

Treehugger

Re: Sankey narrow track brake pain in the arris.

Post by Treehugger » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:42 pm

Never a waste of a day when your observations may well save the rest of us from similar woes. Especially as I have just recently purchased a Sankey narrow track trailer and have yet to even test it properly. So thanks for saving me a load of cussing and swearing and other no polite discussion with the thin air.......in advance you understand. ;)
Kev the Ancienttreehugger. 47HG39 Ex RAF Lossiemouth 1980 vintage.

aerialphil

Post by aerialphil » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:39 pm

My brakes stick on when I pull the handbrake on and was thinking as they are all cleaned and greased they would release as I travel down the road with vibration and bumps in the road. Reading your post now I am not so sure. Do yours stick on when rolling down the road. Anyone found an answer as the brake actuators are very expensive. Could the inserts be turned down to increase the housing clearance . Any help appreciated. As just about to hit the road after a complete meticulous rebuild. Including new tub galved chassis etc Phil

Sidders101
Bake Off Judge

Post by Sidders101 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:11 pm

Hi Phil..i'm still convinced that the problem lies with the shoes...if i release the tension on the drum by undoing the 2/3 securing screws the problem dissolves..??
So..the drum is somehow interfering with the shoe frames...my next task is to remove some of the edge with a flap wheel to see if this makes a difference...perhaps the previous owner fitted new brakes not realising that they were a touch wider than standard. we shall see......the other side if fine & works really well..i shall get my verniers.
Sidders

1976 101 forward control gun tractor 12v RHD- 73-FL-43 ex 1,2 & 3 Para ("Kryten")

aerialphil

Post by aerialphil » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:40 pm

Hi Sidders, I refitted the original drums and shoes as they were all good and went back on the same hubs as they came off.
Both mine stick till I wiggle the rod from each hub side to side.I have not tested my theory of a bumpy road releasing them yet. Never notice any sticking before the rebuild. One hub had a new bearing, other is original.

Thinking about it the only possible cause I can think of is miss alignment of the shoes not being parallel to the drum because the screw adjusters with lock nuts on the back of the back plates being wrongly adjusted. these push on the metal shoe plate and tilt the shoe in relation to the drum. springs pull the shoe on to the bolt head.

Bought new drum screws with allen heads for less hassle when removing. Army wiring was a doddle and all original. New complete hitch fitted. Springs blasted and came up like new. Fitted with A4 stainless clamp bolts ( Almost as strong as 8.8 high tensile) and stainless tubes cut to fit.

Shackle bush is same as ntc1772 LR90 axle bush.

Bought a new tub and galvanized the chassis.

Bought 6 new old stock clear reflectors with rubbers and 4 modern amber plastic reflectors cut down, and fitted them to the 4 rubber surrounds. Looks as originals. Gave up searching for amber ones.

Got a bracket design drawn up and laser cut then welded under the handbrake for the breakaway cable with a 2" half circle to fit perfectly. Looks like it was manufactured that way from new. Can cut some more if anyone needs one 6mm steel.

Just got 5 coats of paint to go on the new tub and raptor to spray underneath and in 1/2 in strips over all seams masked off colour matched in nato semi matt 2 pack on top of epoxy 2 pack and zinc phosphate etch primer under that. Phil

the landy man
Bake Off Judge

Post by the landy man » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:54 pm

Sidders sell your trailer to me for...a couple of hundred quid,I will fix it.You can buy mine for around 1k...everyone's happy! :!
..ROD..
Bognor Regis,West Sussex

1972 S3 LIGHTWEIGHT 53 AM 74,RAF GS .Waddington strike command
1979 LIGHTWEIGHT 10 GX 11,GS .Black watch 1st battalion
1964 SERIES 2A..
Sankey narrow track,29 EN 84
Mankey Sankey NT.
1985 Armstrong MT500, 07 KE 57. (no relation to Neil)
1959 Triumph 5TA .

Chaos
Master Baker

Post by Chaos » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:08 pm

So I take it Rodders that you have rebuilt my Manky Sankey then.
Steve

74 FM 18, a 1974 series 3 Ex Northern Ireland 24 Volt FFR VPK.

AR4412
Maître Pâtissier

Post by AR4412 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:40 pm

Are the brake actuators/expanders free to move on the backplates? Or are they bolted up tight?

Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.

THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE.

Neil.

09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex SFSG/2 PARA/3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.

the landy man
Bake Off Judge

Post by the landy man » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:03 am

Chaos wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:08 pm
So I take it Rodders that you have rebuilt my Manky Sankey then.
No mate it's not been touched since I bought it from you!
I'm referring to my other Sankey. :D
..ROD..
Bognor Regis,West Sussex

1972 S3 LIGHTWEIGHT 53 AM 74,RAF GS .Waddington strike command
1979 LIGHTWEIGHT 10 GX 11,GS .Black watch 1st battalion
1964 SERIES 2A..
Sankey narrow track,29 EN 84
Mankey Sankey NT.
1985 Armstrong MT500, 07 KE 57. (no relation to Neil)
1959 Triumph 5TA .

Sidders101
Bake Off Judge

Post by Sidders101 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:56 am

Hi Elv..they are bolted up tight to the backplate...i'm sure its the lining width that is fouling the drum once its held in tight with the holding screws.
Sidders