109 Carawagon for sale

Complete vehicles for sale or wanted, post here. Trade/Business adverts, without permission from The Forum Admin will be removed.
Bob Fell
Bake Off Judge

109 Carawagon for sale

Post by Bob Fell » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:18 pm

Just spotted this by chance, unusual and rare, it looks to be in very good condition although I don't know how original the rear interior fittings are but searching around seems to be pukka:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-rover-s ... :rk:1:pf:0
Fred, you might know more about these wagons?
Shame there's not a few more pics, the seller says its for sale elsewhere but cannot find it.

Regards
Bob
042Bobf

19HF27 Lightweight FFR ex Gurkha Field Force HQ, various Gurkha Sigs Tps and Comp Ord Depot Hong Kong 1980-1997.
42ET39 Narrow Track Sankey ex BAOR 22 & 7 Sig Regts, 16/5 Lancers, 2 RTR, 9/12 Lancers & QDG 1969-2001.

fv1620
Master Baker

Re: 109 Carawagon for sale

Post by fv1620 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:12 pm

Bob fittings look pretty original including the hook to hold the rear door open.

I used to own the first Truck, Caravan, Commanders, 3/4 Ton, 4x4, Rover that was released 16GN06. I remember there was a small bit of coverage of mine in LRO where it was described as Truck, Carawagon, Commanders, 5/8 Tonne ........GRRRRH!

All the others were still in service at the time. Back then it was much derided when I took it shows as people looked in the back & declared that it had been converted into a camper dismissing it with contempt despite a vehicle information board!

PS This ebay one was recently sold there but has had a change of tyres & a quick respray I believe.
Clive Elliott

Wanted British Army publications of any period (the older the better) eg AC, ACI, AESP, AO, COSA, CR, DCI, EMEC, EMEI, EMER, EMPL, EMPS, ER, JSP, LoC, LTI, MAOS, MRA, RAOS, REA, VAOS, WMTI, etc, Army & WO Coded publications.

Bob Fell
Bake Off Judge

Post by Bob Fell » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:25 pm

Hi Clive,
Many thanks for the info, much appreciated. These are pretty unique vehicles and I didn't know you had owned one in the past, especially the first one! Is it still around?
As for this one, I think I found a pic from last time it was sold, went for 8k if I'm on the right one and you are right it has had a bit of a makeover.
I guess they are a bit of an ugly duckling but all the same, I shouldn't mind one (dream on :( )
Regards
Bob
042Bobf

19HF27 Lightweight FFR ex Gurkha Field Force HQ, various Gurkha Sigs Tps and Comp Ord Depot Hong Kong 1980-1997.
42ET39 Narrow Track Sankey ex BAOR 22 & 7 Sig Regts, 16/5 Lancers, 2 RTR, 9/12 Lancers & QDG 1969-2001.

fv1620
Master Baker

Post by fv1620 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:27 pm

Bob I've got some pictures on the PC (laptop at moment)

It had a very silly blackout switching system. The door switch energised a relay with the winding drawing current intended as fail safe switch. But parked up after a week you had a flat battery :(

As I said I liked the hook to hold the rear door open. Mine was LHD I think, the master cylinder could only be repaired or topped up by removing the wing. To overcome this REME had cut through the top edge of the wing & fitted a cheap wood hinge so the reservoir could be accessed easily. I like that, practical motoring.

I once cornered an in-service one on the M27. There was a 230V alternator fitted to the engine then a cable crudely strung to the rear to feed the RCCB box. The other thing I liked on it was inside a kitchen roll held up with a bungee through it above the rear window.

Mine was converted to a hard top, not domed but flat only to the height of the top of the front rack. Never seen another done that way, it had additional 230v sockets & lights. Also a wooden partition to separate the commander's area from the cab, with a sliding hatch to speak to the driver. Not seen that either. it came direct from BAOR.

What I would like to see is the modern equivalent, Wolf with Commander's IK, I think there were 24. There is a close replica around.
Clive Elliott

Wanted British Army publications of any period (the older the better) eg AC, ACI, AESP, AO, COSA, CR, DCI, EMEC, EMEI, EMER, EMPL, EMPS, ER, JSP, LoC, LTI, MAOS, MRA, RAOS, REA, VAOS, WMTI, etc, Army & WO Coded publications.

AR4412
Maître Pâtissier

Post by AR4412 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:57 pm

fv1620 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:27 pm
Mine was LHD I think, the master cylinder could only be repaired or topped up by removing the wing. To overcome this REME had cut through the top edge of the wing & fitted a cheap wood hinge so the reservoir could be accessed easily. I like that, practical motoring.
Hiya Clive! :D ,

That little work around was common practice on left hookers as you can't get the clutch master cylinder out without cutting the wing top or removing the wing. The type of hinge fitted depended what was laying around the stores or the metalsmiths bay. I know we used to carry hinges in the 'expense' on our fitter trucks.

Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.

THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE.

Neil.

09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex SFSG/2 PARA/3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.

Bob Fell
Bake Off Judge

Post by Bob Fell » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:17 pm

Hi Clive and Neil,
Thanks for the info and anecdotes guys, very interesting and it all adds to the 'knowledge' ;)
Shouldn't mind seeing the pics of your old vehicle Clive out of interest, you've got my direct email I believe.
Many Thanks to you both :D
Best
Bob
042Bobf

fv1620
Master Baker

Post by fv1620 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:54 pm

Here's one picture to be going on with of 16 GN 06.

I regret very much that I stripped the 7 layers of IRR paint off it. Not only was this a tiresome exercise as it needed a vast amount of paint stripper, that on certain patches had very little effect on the paintwork yet other areas nearby would bubble & peel quite rapidly. I had naively destroyed the authenticity in an attempt to have a smoothish paint finish, but I didn't know better at the time.

The rear window had been painted over & I found that bubbled furiously as the glass had been replaced by Perspex :)

The ICP markings were copied from an in-service caravan.

The black jerrycan was actually cut in half & it disguised my 250w Honda generator I carried around.
16 GN 06 1 (Small).jpg
16 GN 06 1 (Small).jpg (135.91 KiB) Viewed 69 times
Clive Elliott

Bob Fell
Bake Off Judge

Post by Bob Fell » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:01 pm

Wow Clive,
I had seen a carawagon before as in my original post but not one like this, as the first was it unique in its configuration? prototype?
Thanks for posting.
Best
Bob
042Bobf

fv1620
Master Baker

Post by fv1620 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:35 pm

Bob the non-standard variations were done to a high standard I believe whilst in BAOR. The extra fluorescent lighting & extra power sockets were all of German manufacture. If it was a prototype it would have had BT ERMs or was in SP? Can't remember off hand there were one or two, but this was part of the general contract. I suspect a particular commander may have made a fuss about what he wanted & it was done.

I have seen several, some years ago now, that had permanent domed hard tops that looked hideously impractical. There was a cream painted one that used to be seen around the lay-bys of Southern England with a bloke interested in electronics using it as his home. When I spoke to him once he was soldering up a PCB, but a bit fed up with nosey-parkers wondering what it was all about. He was ok with me as I introduced myself as a fellow Carawagon owner :)

There are pictures around of some of the GN series with Limestone bodywork at the rear & roof areas. Presumably freshly delivered from Searle's before they got the IRR treatment. I was tempted to redo mine like that to pea people off, but it was already high on people's list of contempt as they felt a profanity had taken place by me converting it into a camper. Ignorance & contempt are wonderful human attributes.

It used to be my everyday vehicle, it replaced my ambulance that I sold to Mark Cook. The reason I sold the caravan was that the M3 was being built & I would be obliged to use a multi-storey carpark into which it would not fit. When I came to sell it nobody wanted it as it had been so extensively "modified" & no longer "real". One buyer wanted to rip out the rear & use it as an open pick-up but I refused to sell it to him.

The dealers from whom I bought it didn't want to PE it for the RAF 90 I was buying from them. But for domestic purposes it got transferred to their yard where it sat until it went into BCA. It was bought by an enthusiast who did a very nice paint job in High Gloss DBG. But it was never like that in service as it was a tactical command post painted matt & besides when new although some of the body was DBG but the rest of it was Limestone!
Clive Elliott

Bob Fell
Bake Off Judge

Post by Bob Fell » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:11 pm

Hi Clive,
Fascinating info,thank you. I've found this on the net;
http://www.900club.org/viewtopic.php?t=225#p1414
Searle's promo, bar grip tyres, tac board, GF ERM, etc.
Regards
Bob
042Bobf