Wolf welder?

Post your non-Land Rover related topics here.
hibbo
Bake Off Judge

Re: Wolf welder?

Post by hibbo » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:19 pm

Sell the land rover and buy a Lincoln welder :o :lol: .
Seriously don't buy a cheap welder.
Graham.

Gatwick, west Sussex

Buy British, now it's more important than ever.

1980-83 GS Lightweight 57KB99
Sankey narrow track 08ES81
1942 350cc Ohv Ariel W'ng dispatch bike

Jiml

Post by Jiml » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:32 pm

Well I don’t have any welders or welding skills but I do work for three fabrication and welding companies that do, best of all they don’t charge me for it. Happy days :D
52HG42 my current love interest

Treehugger

Post by Treehugger » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:14 pm

Well I don’t have any welders or welding skills but I do work for three fabrication and welding companies that do, best of all they don’t charge me for it. Happy days :D
Its alright for some eh? :D I have to admit that its not unusual to know someone who knows someone who can get access to the right kind of gear to do a job for a reasonable fee. I know a couple of people who could weld stuff for me. However I would like to give it a go myself as I haven't done any welding for quite a lot of years. Want to see if I can still mess it all up and blow a few holes in the metal. Remember it well. :oops:
Kev the Ancienttreehugger. 47HG39 Ex RAF Lossiemouth 1980 vintage.

Johnsboy

Post by Johnsboy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:50 pm

Tinweasel,
As others say too, I would steer clear of some cheap welders. Don’t buy one without a standard euro torch, don’t bother with the small disposable bottles, they run out very quickly. Get a half size argoshield bottle,either rent free or boc do a cheap rate rent,£55 ish per year,if you phoned them and asked for the hobbyist rate, or pub co2 bottle,will weld but not as nice as argoshield.shop around.

I am not a professional welder by trade but like to weld.
My main Mig was a 3 phase Lincoln electric, great machine for workshop use but I wanted a portable single phase machine.
After a lot of ums and ahs I plumped for a sip mig weldmate hg2300mp. Have only used it on Mig but it welds well and being 200a it will weld some meaty metal.
It’s a stick,tig ang Mig all in one but being an inverter it’s quite light. Only downside is it’s a dc set so won’t tig aluminium.

Like everyone says tig is nicer but it depend what and where your welding. With tig you need good position,room to move and both hands, mig Is far easier it pick up, one hand to hold the bracket, the other to hold the torch, especially if you are is an awkward place especially like on a landy.

I like the sip more than my Lincoln now, because I’m not tied to 3 phase. The sip is supposed to need a 16a supply but I have it on a 13a plug and it still welds good. We had it on an 25ft extension welding 10mm thick hinge brackets onto farm building uprights no bother except for blowing the occasional 13a fuse.

Bought mine from a company called TW Wholesale as they were the cheapest at the time and it came direct from sip. Was £479 with the dreaded vodka and tonic.
The tig torch/ arc lead aren’t included but I got it mainly for mig use as I have an ac/dc tig set.
I was sceptical with sip welders but this has changed my mind. Don’t think it’s an 24/7 welder but it does what it says on the tin

All depends on your price range.

If you get a cheap underpowered mig you will get peed off with it but buy a slightly more expensive one and you will be able to weld much more and find it easier to use.

Same goes for the gas. Disposables will cost a fortune in the long run, rent free you pay a bit of a premium for the bottle but it’s yours until you refill, co2 is ok for an emergency but when you see the difference with argoshield.

Tinweasel
Maître Pâtissier

Post by Tinweasel » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:32 pm

Cheers for the reply gent's, I can honestly say the last time I did any welding was at least 7 years ago, I have a small (so small I can't get a mobile welder to do it) job on the lightweight, and I will be making up a grill from some angle iron and wire mesh in a few weeks and maybe another equally small job next year. After that I probably won't do any welding for another 7 to 10 years.
I would drive the lightweight somewhere except the MOT is now out.

Sadly I just can't justify a decent amount for a welder so I'm just going to pick something up and accept drawbacks of my choice.

Thanks again

Shaun

Rudolf Hess was the editor of mine Kampf, so was he the first grammar nazi?

Tring, Hertfordshire

Tinweasel
Maître Pâtissier

Post by Tinweasel » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:26 pm

Well I picked up a Clark 130te jobby, is it a good welder, to be fair it seems alright to me, but I'm sure it's no match for a Lincoln model. I haven't had much time to practice but I can get two bits of metal to stick together with it enough that I can't separate them with my fingers. However any advice is welcome.
Attachments
IMG_20180927_141305.jpg
IMG_20180927_141305.jpg (2.8 MiB) Viewed 236 times
IMG_20180927_141237.jpg
IMG_20180927_141237.jpg (2.84 MiB) Viewed 236 times

Tring, Hertfordshire

hibbo
Bake Off Judge

Post by hibbo » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:50 pm

First thing is you don't seem to have penetration so up the power a bit, you need to see the weld both sides.
Do you have an automatic mask ? They are well worth the money £25-30.
It's all practice, as Rob says if you can't weld you will get great at grinding.

Just had a look, less than £20 on eBay.
Graham.

Gatwick, west Sussex

Buy British, now it's more important than ever.

1980-83 GS Lightweight 57KB99
Sankey narrow track 08ES81
1942 350cc Ohv Ariel W'ng dispatch bike

Tinweasel
Maître Pâtissier

Post by Tinweasel » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:56 pm

hibbo wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:50 pm
First thing is you don't seem to have penetration so up the power a bit, you need to see the weld both sides.
Do you have an automatic mask ? They are well worth the money £25-30.
It's all practice, as Rob says if you can't weld you will get great at grinding.
Cheers mate, I suspect I'm also to far away from the work, I need to get some time in as I have to get the lightweight patched next week so I can move it before the new drive is done the week after

Shaun

Tring, Hertfordshire

AR4412
Maître Pâtissier

Post by AR4412 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:47 am

Hiya Shaun! :D ,

It's all about the practice, learning the settings for different thicknesses of metal, torch speed/angle/distance from the workpiece etc...etc.., and listening to what the weld is telling you by the buzz it is making.

There's some good info on this site mate.

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/tutorial.htm

Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.

THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE.

Neil.

09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex SFSG/2 PARA/3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.

Tinweasel
Maître Pâtissier

Post by Tinweasel » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:20 pm

Hiya Neil 😀, useful link, thanks for sticking it up as I had somehow missed that website.

Shaun

Tring, Hertfordshire