Calling all model makers

Post your non-Land Rover related topics here.
Tinweasel
Maître Pâtissier

Re: Calling all model makers

Post by Tinweasel » Tue May 15, 2018 11:01 pm

Well whilst I know few people will be hanging on every post on this build, I thought I would pop up a photo of something that looks suspiciously tank like
20180515_213848.jpg
20180515_213848.jpg (2.37 MiB) Viewed 200 times
Next step is the fine detail, then a clear gloss before I put on the decals, then some mud around the tracks before deciding what sort of weathering to go for.

Shaun

Rudolf Hess was the editor of mine Kampf, so was he the first grammar nazi?

Tring, Hertfordshire

Sidders101
Bake Off Judge

Post by Sidders101 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:47 am

That's a cracking Chiefy...here's my 1970's Dinky version.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 192 times
Sidders

1974 Series 3 LWT 12v RHD 69-FM-24 , Royal Marines ("Intrepid")
1976 101 forward control gun tractor 12v RHD- 73-FL-43 ex 1,2 & 3 Para ("Kryten")
1979 Sankey NT Trailer 06-HF-86 78 Engr Reg (Herman)
1978 Trophy Frank Spencer impression (1st place)

Tinweasel
Maître Pâtissier

Post by Tinweasel » Wed May 16, 2018 8:42 am

Got to love a dinky, I keep looking at them anytime I see them but never know if it's original or the right price.

Tring, Hertfordshire

Fred
Bake Off Judge

Post by Fred » Wed May 16, 2018 9:21 am

I think you've got the colour absolutely spot on! It looks just like the real thing sitting on the tank park (ie clean!) - the shade of black is perfect. The sad thing about modelling 1970s+ British military vehicles is that there is so little colour to add. It'll be down to the weathering. I used to use real mud! I lived close to Salisbury Plain so would collect some of the chalky mud, mix it with water and apply it to the model, or just let it dry out and rub the dust over it. Being a mixture of chalk and clay it was very fine and so didn't look out of scale. But, if you overdid it you could simply wash it off again. It stayed on well. I have a Tamiya Chieftain somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.
Fred
Best,
Fred

1979 Series 3 GS, 23HF14

Tinweasel
Maître Pâtissier

Post by Tinweasel » Wed May 16, 2018 3:59 pm

Thanks Fred, I'm thinking the tracks need some work as they are plain black at the moment, but I'm probably not going to do to much more, it would be very easy to over do it if I'm not very careful.

Annoyingly I have just realised there is something missing from the kit, I have been thinking the turret looks off around the front since I put it together and have just realised that the canvas cover around the Base of the barrel is missing, so I need to decide if I can do something about it or just not worry about it now.

Ho hum

Shaun

Tring, Hertfordshire

Bob Fell
Bake Off Judge

Post by Bob Fell » Wed May 16, 2018 6:45 pm

Hi Shaun,
When weathering, just remember what's on the tracks is on the vehicle, so many models fall down on this this.

Looking good mate.

Regards
Bob
042Bobf

19HF27 Lightweight FFR ex Gurkha Field Force HQ, various Gurkha Sigs Tps and Comp Ord Depot Hong Kong 1980-1997.
42ET39 Narrow Track Sankey ex BAOR 22 & 7 Sig Regts, 16/5 Lancers, 2 RTR, 9/12 Lancers & QDG 1969-2001.

AR4412
Maître Pâtissier

Post by AR4412 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:19 pm

Hiya Shaun! :D ,

The Chiefy is looking good mate. 8-)

My way of painting tracks would be to paint the grooves in them with a dark colour like matt black, then paint them all over in Humbrol 98, as this gives a dirty rusty base colour, but leaves the black picking out the individual links. I would then give them a dry brushing with Humbrol 27004 Gunmetal which will pick out the raised areas that are in contact with other items like the ground/roadwheels etc... and leave the recessed areas a dirty brown colour. The track pads I would dry brush with a mix of tank grey/matt black. If you want to give the model a newer/cleaner track look, use a matt black base instead of the chocolate brown.

Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.

THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE.

Neil.

09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex SFSG/2 PARA/3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.

Tinweasel
Maître Pâtissier

Post by Tinweasel » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:26 pm

Well I'm feeling a little miffed, I have just put a coat of humbrol acrylic gloss varnish on the chieftain, apparently it isn't suited to Tamiya acrylic paint as the paint has started to lift and blister. in places the varnish has dried matt and all over it has a texture finish instead of smooth.

oh well I will have to see how it is in the morning and make my mind up what I'm going to do :|

shaun

Tring, Hertfordshire

Fred
Bake Off Judge

Post by Fred » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:32 pm

Tinweasel wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:26 pm
Well I'm feeling a little miffed, I have just put a coat of humbrol acrylic gloss varnish on the chieftain, apparently it isn't suited to Tamiya acrylic paint as the paint has started to lift and blister. in places the varnish has dried matt and all over it has a texture finish instead of smooth.

oh well I will have to see how it is in the morning and make my mind up what I'm going to do :|

shaun
Sorry to hear that. It could be worse... a couple of years ago I hand-painted my wife's Freelander in DBG. It reacted with the original paint, or I didn't clean it properly, or it reacted with the primer, but, the result was that over the following year it came out in millions of little bubbles which gradually are peeling. I shall have to have another go, too. I do hope you're able to clean it up and that a new coat of paint will take OK.
Best,
Fred

1979 Series 3 GS, 23HF14

Trickyh

Post by Trickyh » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:50 pm

Tinweasel wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 3:59 pm
Annoyingly I have just realised there is something missing from the kit, I have been thinking the turret looks off around the front since I put it together and have just realised that the canvas cover around the Base of the barrel is missing, so I need to decide if I can do something about it or just not worry about it now.
I'm not sure if many kits come with the replica canvas tbh.. I remembered reading a recent article about reproducing the tarp and just stumbled over it again..
Image1.JPG
Image1.JPG (34.74 KiB) Viewed 115 times
Image2.JPG
Image2.JPG (79.67 KiB) Viewed 115 times
Rich aka Tricky

'72 SIII 12V Lightweight