Notification of content?

We have tried to make the website viewable on all popular browsers in any resolution. If you encounter problems viewing, navigating or using the site, please post here. We also welcome your comments and suggestions to help with the site and forum development.
fv1620
Master Baker

Notification of content?

Post by fv1620 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:01 am

I expect most of us have set it up so that we get an email notification of a new post to a thread we have joined. Is it possible for this notification to include the textual content of what has been posted?

On HMVF this does happen, any image in the new post is just left on a link to that image alone. This is very handy just to keep up to speed without having to go to site & then download sometimes a stream of photos to just see a post "Very nice restoration" or "I'm with so & so on this one" etc

Not that these sort of comments are not worthy but very often say on restoration blogs they are very picture heavy & particularly if someone quotes the previous pictures just to add some small comment.

Why am I touchy about downloading large chunks of photos to get the textual comment? I have no broadband & rely on a whispy 4G signal from a yagi on the roof. Sometimes there is a signal sometimes not, but it is often slow. Sometimes I have to drive up the hill put a portable hub up on a pole & use the lap top in the back of the Land Rover. Or if I venture to a town with 3G or 4G download it on my phone.

I have four 4G contracts (home hub, portable hub & 2 phones) which is expensive enough so I don't want to go over limit. So please (& I know it happens a lot on all forums) when you reply to a post with a quote, not to quote the photos that have just been posted.

So is there something in the forum machinery to allow just the text of a new post to be read? This is particularly if the download is slow or you only have access for a short time before the signal drops or you are busy just to keep up to date with a thread that is of particular interest?
Clive Elliott

Wanted British Army publications of any period (the older the better) eg AC, ACI, AESP, AO, COSA, CR, DCI, EMEC, EMEI, EMER, EMPL, EMPS, ER, JSP, LoC, LTI, MAOS, MRA, RAOS, REA, VAOS, WMTI, etc, Army & WO Coded publications.

Gordon Bennett
Maître Pâtissier

Re: Notification of content?

Post by Gordon Bennett » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:51 am

Hi Clive,

We'll have to investigate that.

HMVF use a different type of Forum, so am not sure what we can do at the moment.

Rgds,
Gordon

fv1620
Master Baker

Post by fv1620 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:22 am

fv1620 wrote:I have no broadband & rely on a whispy 4G signal from a yagi on the roof. Sometimes there is a signal sometimes not, but it is often slow. Sometimes I have to drive up the hill put a portable hub up on a pole & use the lap top in the back of the Land Rover.
This is how I communicate

When that's not working

Clive Elliott

Wanted British Army publications of any period (the older the better) eg AC, ACI, AESP, AO, COSA, CR, DCI, EMEC, EMEI, EMER, EMPL, EMPS, ER, JSP, LoC, LTI, MAOS, MRA, RAOS, REA, VAOS, WMTI, etc, Army & WO Coded publications.

chipbury
Master Baker

Post by chipbury » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:36 pm

Hi Clive,

Have you looked at satellite broadband such as - http://avonlinebroadband.com/ (other suppliers are available).

We used one of their dishes on the ship for 9 months last year whilst we were in port as it was cheaper than using the tracking system. It proved to be very reliable. Not sure how the costs would compare to you 4G contracts mind but I believe a reasonable amount of data can be had for less than £50 a month.

Cheers,

Chris
2A - 39 FG 70

fv1620
Master Baker

Post by fv1620 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:52 pm

Chris the Welsh Government will give a grant of up to £1,000 for a satellite broadband installation if you are unable to receive it via the phone line or by going to satellite it will double your speed. We are at the end of the line, the last 12 poles in the lane just supply us. Although we are 7 km from the exchange, the wires travel in the opposite direction to the exchange so they then double back round another lane so have to travel further.

Some round here have had bad experiences with companies who take the grant but show no interest in making the system work or maintaining it.

Satellites seem to be not directly up in the sky but over the horizon above central Europe, obstructing me I have trees & a hillside. None the less I approached several companies who seem frankly incompetent or really couldn't be bothered. The same applied to a local wifi system to whom I made repeated requests for a survey, who just seemed disinterested always saying they would get back to me.

So at least with the present set up a fair bit of the time it is ok to say keep up with a youtube clip. But upload varies from 10 to 100 kps.

At least on ship there aren't that many trees & hills, but thanks for the thought.
Clive Elliott

Bob Fell
Bake Off Judge

Post by Bob Fell » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:56 pm

As an aside,

Cracking wagon you've got there Clive, very nice :mrgreen:

Regards
Bob
042Bobf

19HF27 Lightweight FFR ex Gurkha Field Force HQ, various Gurkha Sigs Tps and Comp Ord Depot Hong Kong 1980-1997.
42ET39 Narrow Track Sankey ex BAOR 22 & 7 Sig Regts, 16/5 Lancers, 2 RTR, 9/12 Lancers & QDG 1969-2001.

fv1620
Master Baker

Post by fv1620 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:07 pm

Thank you Bob it was blown up in Afghanistan, the rear axle was on a pallet in front of it at Withams. Dunsfold put it on a new chassis.

It is my everyday vehicle & my main show vehicle as I have to travel 100-300 miles to get to shows now. So this year the Pig went to no shows & the Shorland just one.

But despite all that it is polite & peaceful here, I can see no neighbours other than across the valley.
Clive Elliott

StuWright
Master Baker

Post by StuWright » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:31 pm

I agree with Bob your Defender looks really nice Clive. 8-)
Thanks

Stu

55AM52 Ex RAF Land Rover Lightweight GS

jonboy

Post by jonboy » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:51 pm

Would love one of those but living in London our mayor has to dictate what we can drive

fv1620
Master Baker

Post by fv1620 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:02 pm

Don't think we have any mayors here.

At least I no longer live in an area that was annexed against our will to become part of a National Park.

Even the dog's insurance premium has now gone down, but strangely the car insurance had to go up because our new post code. Thanks Adrian but there only 3 dwellings in our post code :shock:
Clive Elliott