Hi,
replaced my speedo cable- result- no speedo reading! Had the speedo fixed by Mike at Flannery Restoration- works fine on the bench and it's even certified up to 60mph- there's a thought! Back in the dash-still no reading although I have a smart looking speedo. Driving with the speedo out, you can feel the core rotating so it's engaged at the drive end. I'm wondering if these aftermarket cables might vary in core length and it's just not sticking out far enough at the speedo end. Anyone had this?
Refurbished speedo/new cable
-
VictorLymbery
- Posts: 43
- Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:10 pm
Re: Refurbished speedo/new cable
Hi Wizzlon,
I have a series 3 that has the plastic coupling on the speedo end of the cable, the type that clicks in to engage and you press on the side of it to remove. When I bought my car, the speedo was not working. cable broken (and 3" of it fell out of speedo end!) I got a low-cost replacement and fitted it. Tried it, but no speedo reading. I disconnected at speedo end, inner cable was turning as it should.
Interweb research suggested low-cost speedo cables could be too short or not square enough in section to drive speedo. Mine appeared square enough, so I pulled inner cable out from speedo end, threaded a couple of washers onto it to get it to project further into the speedo and put it back. Great result! speedo works.
Problem is the inner cable is now too long to allow the plastic connector to click positively into place, but the grommet on the engine side of the firewall seems to hold it in okay.
My plan is to remove one of the washers to see if that will enable the plastic clip to engage and still allow speedo to read, but as it all works, i've left it (as one does!)
Also, I took the opportunity to add extra grease into the cable while it was out.
Don't know if this is useful for you, but I've found that just knowing people have overcome problems you are going through isa great moral boost!
Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Regards
Victor
I have a series 3 that has the plastic coupling on the speedo end of the cable, the type that clicks in to engage and you press on the side of it to remove. When I bought my car, the speedo was not working. cable broken (and 3" of it fell out of speedo end!) I got a low-cost replacement and fitted it. Tried it, but no speedo reading. I disconnected at speedo end, inner cable was turning as it should.
Interweb research suggested low-cost speedo cables could be too short or not square enough in section to drive speedo. Mine appeared square enough, so I pulled inner cable out from speedo end, threaded a couple of washers onto it to get it to project further into the speedo and put it back. Great result! speedo works.
Problem is the inner cable is now too long to allow the plastic connector to click positively into place, but the grommet on the engine side of the firewall seems to hold it in okay.
My plan is to remove one of the washers to see if that will enable the plastic clip to engage and still allow speedo to read, but as it all works, i've left it (as one does!)
Also, I took the opportunity to add extra grease into the cable while it was out.
Don't know if this is useful for you, but I've found that just knowing people have overcome problems you are going through isa great moral boost!
Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Regards
Victor
Re: Refurbished speedo/new cable
I once measured the inner drive cable on an aftermarket speedo cable, (With the white plastic clip.), as it didn't appear to be as long as in the original cable, (Grey clip.), sitting further in to the connection. It was about 5mm further in IIRC. I would need to find the old original cable I removed from a project, or take the dash out of the lightweight to confirm it mind you.
Regards,
Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
Re: Refurbished speedo/new cable
Thanks Victor and Neil- sounds like we all have the same issue. I haven't done anything further as yet as the fuel pump packed in. Just replaced that so I can get back to the speedo.
I have another non original cable to try- if that fails I will look for an original.
Cheers,
Andrew.
I have another non original cable to try- if that fails I will look for an original.
Cheers,
Andrew.
Re: Refurbished speedo/new cable
I bought a replacement cable from Emberton Imperial for £22. Tenner more than that available from most spares dealers but get this- it's the same design as the original, works fine and it's made in GB! The only thing to look out for is there is no grommet supplied with it
I had the speedo refurbished by Flannery Restoration and the needles no longer bounces about all over the place. Luckily the car doesn't go any faster though!
I had the speedo refurbished by Flannery Restoration and the needles no longer bounces about all over the place. Luckily the car doesn't go any faster though!